Sunday, May 6, 2012

A little update on Artiom

Update on Toma :) Things are going so much better! He's been home for 2 years...and I have to say, for much of those 2 years we didn't like each other too much ;) But we are really seeing some changes in him lately...and I think a lot of it has to do with the supplements I'm giving him. He's so much calmer, he doesn't stim AS much, he makes more eye contact, gets in less trouble..aka..hasn't flooded my kitchen, doesn't stick his head in the toilet and flush it 100 times a day...AND...for the biggest change...he's been GOING TO THE BATHROOM IN THE TOILET!!!!!! WHOO HOO!!!! This is HUGE!!!!!!!! He'll even come in from outside to go!!! Oh, my life just got SO much easier. Here is the list of what I put in his cereal once a day: Fish Oil, Flax Oil, Ginkgo Biloba, Chlorophyll, Coconut Oil, Garlic, and Water Kefir. Sometimes I add some Vit.D and Iodine. I don't put the Kefir in it everyday either, but I should. I'm alway's 'tweaking' this concoction. But I really think it's what's making the huge differences we're seeing in him. :) :)

2 comments:

  1. Yay, great news about the toilet!! That has to make life just a little easier. I follow your blog because I have a son with Goldenhar (still young, 19m) that looks similarly affected. Is Toma able to eat solids other than purees? We are in feeding therapy trying to get John on solids, but so far it's a no-go. He can do yogurt & baby food, won't chew anything. We don't know if it is the cranio-facial differences, or related to his heart (which was severely affected by the Golenhar), or just oral aversion from a 3m hospital stay at birth. John has a Gtube for catching up on calories during the night, maybe I should be adding some of those nutrients that you are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Veronica :)
    Toma spent 5 1/2 years in an orphanage eating the same foods day in and day out...and he ate a lot of purees and soups...so when we got him home, he didn't want to eat other kinds of foods.
    Plus, he had a cleft palate, which made it harder to eat.
    Now after being home for 2 years he is willing to eat regular foods, AS LONG as he still gets his rice cereal :)
    But it was a process. It was like starting with a toddler or a baby on new foods.
    When he came home he only weighed 21lbs at 5 and a half years old, so I was quite concerned about his eating habits. But thankfully, he's making so much progress. But with the Goldenhar, he will always be smaller than average.
    Good luck with your little guy!!! :) :)

    Jodi

    ReplyDelete